BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, December 11, 2009

I accidentally went to Brooklyn

I have the same old sob story about my computer. It continues to take it's last breaths, and as it dies so do the other things in my life...like my new headphones. I got them two months ago and now only one of the earbuds plays music. Awesome. My computer still won't upload pictures, but it WILL charge my iPod if I turn it off and plug it in as I turn it back on. I'm starting to learn all this wonderful tricks to make my electronical life last until I get home.

This week has been really busy at work. I am finally done with the OCTOBER social media report (I essentially read all the blogs and tweets for the month of October concerning David's Bridal and crunch some numbers for some stats and then report on the trends by comparing it to other months and from my own observations). My advisor tells me creating this report (and using Cision) will look amazing on my resume, so I'm pretty happy about that. Unfortunately, by some grace of god I must have the November report done by next Thursday (these things take foreeeeveeer).

Today, I worked up on the "beauty" floor (most of the time I'm on the "fashion" floor.... I can hear you laughing now) but because they needed some emergency help on fixing the product closet that was an absolute disaster I was on the upstairs. A client is coming in on Monday and the closet has to be PERFECT. I internally groaned when we (the interns) were assigned this.... I didn't come to NYC to fix up a closet. However, I took over the job, let the other interns do other things and made that closet look like Extreme Makeover came through. I labeled, rearranged, unpacked, reorganized, and straightened out that eyesore. To say the least the girls were impressed. They had never seen the closet so "neat". Literally they went on and on about it. I even got some free products out of it (score!). It also helped that I was given Starbucks midday compliments of Lippe Taylor. It's amazing how Starbucks is my primary motivator in life (sad, I know). But maybe I have found my new calling in life...I could be a professional organizer? Maybe the hoarder next door would hire me?

Aside from work I have been doing my usual exploring of NYC. Jaymelee (another intern) and I went to see the Tree since it is "lit" now. I have to say it does look pretty amazing. Rockefeller Plaza is like Christmastown. I saw 5 Santa Clauses on one street (sadly no elves). We also went inside St. Patricks Cathedral, which is really gorgeous. I really wanted to light a candle but I didn't have any money to put in the donation box. How pathetic/hilarious is that? Jaymelee also introduced me to my first Knish. Basically some sort of breading over potatoes. Too bad it's always the cheap food that is the unhealthiest.

I also signed up for my one-week membership to the The Sports Club in Rockefeller Plaza. Honestly, I thought it was going to be better. It's hard to be happy at any Gym anymore because I was absolutely spoiled at Mizzou with their Rec Center. I mean how many gyms have a waterfall and a lazy river in it? Of course, the location of this gym is amazing. I literally lift weights while looking down at all the people/the tree/the ice rink while I lift weights. (10 pound dumbells, I consider this a success). The gym itself is really big and the equipment is fairly new (there is no place to plug in my iPod, but like I said I've been spoiled). I'm even considering taking a boxing class on Sunday (pending how late my night will be Saturday. I'm headed down to East Village with a friend). I do like that they offer to steam your clothes and I have been able to stock up on Q-tips and cotton balls. It's just really isn't the same as my beloved Mizzou Rec Center. (Yes, I do expect you to feel bad for me).

After leaving the gym today, I did witness a guy propose to his girlfriend on the ice rink while everyone watched (the ice rink was cleared off somehow). Everyone was applauding and "oohing" and "ahhing". I just imagined all the married woman watching this and looking at their husbands asking why they didn't think of that. Made me laugh a little bit.

On quite the opposite spectrum of the ritzy area of Rockefeller Plaza is Canal Street. For all of my family members who have heard Katie talking about getting in vans to buy purses, this is the area. Jaymelee and I attempted Canal Street Thursday and despite the cold temperatures (still no snow!) we were quite successful. I decided I'm pretty good at bargaining with people. I was looking at several items (I cannot disclose what they are for Christmas purposes) and after holding and admiring and putting down these items I would start walking away and the owner would give me a lower price. I say no thanks, but then keep looking at it. I then ask him to go lower in price and if he says no I start walking out the door again and this is precisely when he says FINE and usually gives me the price I want. You never pay the first price you are given on Canal Street, and if you do you are a fool.

This is the point in the post where I tell you how I made it to Brooklyn (on accident). We were only on Canal Street for an hour because it was waytoo cold. We attempted to buy bags, but unfortunately weren't invited into any vans. Jaymelee and I being the brilliant people we are managed to get on the right train....just headed the wrong way. I noticed that we were traveling above the ground instead of under and I even commented to Jaymelee, "Oh, this is awesome we get to see the City and all of these bridges." BRIDGES?!! UMM WAIT. WE AREN'T SUPPOSED TO SEE BRIDGES. And 7 minutes later we are in Brooklyn, and not a good part of Brooklyn. Although we were laughing about it, we were also whispering to each other about how we needed the next train to get there ASAP so we could get back to Manhattan. There were some pretty shady people around (except for the man in purple pants and cowboy boots, he was just humorous). I knew I was due to make a stupid mistake with the trains. (Side note: I was 40 minutes late to work on Tuesday because a man on my train was having a seizure and they had to shut down my route for several blocks until the ambulance came. I walked 22 blocks to the next train station....I have no idea if the man is ok, but I can tell you it felt like I was in a movie. There were people literally yelling, "Is anybody a Doctor?!!! This was the point where George Clooney was supposed to enter the scene).

Tomorrow I do not plan on going to Brooklyn, but I do plan on going to see "Tropical Butterflies Alive in the Winter" at the Natural History Museum. It's on the list of top ten things to do in NY in the winter. I have to give credit to my friend Tyler who sent me the link to this article. Maybe some day I will be able to post the pictures I've been taking... hopefully before Christmas (sorry!)

No comments:

Post a Comment