BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sake Bombing


It doesn't take much to convince me to go out. If it sounds like a good time, I'm usually game. However, when my friend Becky asked me to go Sake Bombing on Saturday it made me a little nervous. I've been sake bombing in Iowa City, but this is NYC and these people don't mess around.

After making the trek to Alphabet City (this is in East Village, where the streets are labeled "A ave, "B ave", I think you get the point) we met up with a group of people at a really swanky looking German bar. We walked in and there was a long tree branch with lights streaming from it on the wall that crawled up towards the ceiling. You couldn't help but stare at it. This place was clearly not the grounds for where we would be sake bombing, so we left for the popular NYC Sake Bar, Satsko. For those who don't know what Sake Bombing is, it's when you pour a shot of sake (Japanese liquor) into a shot glass, and then place it on top of chopsticks that are placed over a glass of beer (see stolen picture from Wikipedia). You then yell "SAKE BOMB!" and slam your fists on the table so the shot will drop in the beer, and then of course you consume it. As you can imagine this can be an expensive night, but I am proud to say I spent ten dollars. It was Becky's friends birthday and other people kept buying the drinks. Amen for people who have paid jobs.

After successfully continuing our night in East Village I officially checked myself into bed at 5 a.m. This is by far a new record for the longest time I've spent at the bars. NYC really doesn't sleep. Lucky for me I had a 10:30 a.m. meeting on Sunday with a woman from a babysitting program who is helping me find a family to watch on the weekends. I must have looked like I was hit by the bus, but regardless of my appearance she is still trying to help me find a placement. I'm crossing my fingers that something happens soon because my bank account hates me.

I do actually try to do my body more good than harm (I don't go sake bombing every weekend). I took a kickboxing class at my free gym and it left me sore for two straight days. Actually, my arms still kind of hurt... I made it to my free week of the Rockefeller Plaza gym membership 6 out of the 7 days. The good news is it only costs $180 to join! AKA I will be returning to my early morning runs in Central Park. Unlike my hometown of Antarctica we actually haven't had snow yet and it's been in the high 40's. Having said that I will probably be punished with a blizzard tomorrow.

Two more days left of work and the Friday is the BIG interview in Mt. Laurel. Becky and Jess (roommate from Mizzou) will be joining me me in Philly for Friday night/Saturday, and then it's back to the Mitten for Christmas on Sunday! I will hear about the internship around the end of the month... I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. Send your good Karma my way please!

No comments:

Post a Comment