BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge

First off, pictures hopefully will be added Monday. I currently have a computer that randomly decides when it wants to recognize my camera, ipod, or headphones. It's been fun trying to charge my iPod with outlets that decide not to work. Alas, trying to upload pictures is not working right now.... to make things better we don't have working internet at the apartment so I am currently sitting at Starbucks using the internet. Fun, fun.

Anyways, this weekend was a blast. I spent Friday night walking around NYC Christmas shopping. NYC does NOT let you forget it's Christmas time, and usually this time of year I am focused on finals and not Christmas, so it's been great. Having said that, NYC is an absolute ZOO at shops. Macy's in particular is a DISASTER. It would be great for kids (there is a Santa's mailbox, and a Christmas Wishlist....and of course Santa). However, for the rest of us "shoppers" it is a nightmare and I don't plan on going back there until after the Holidays.

Katie came to the City on Saturday night and we had a blast. I started off my night with my friend Becky at her co-workers party (they all work at Verizon). If I learned one thing from this party, it's that New Yorkers drink everything out of a straw. I've noticed this a lot with people walking around holding coffee cups with straws sticking out. I sort of understand this....people don't want to get stains on their teeth. I don't really participate in this ridiculous looking straw and coffee consumption though. I know a stellar dentist in the Grand Rapids area that could help me out with any "stains" that may occur. However, I do not understand why so many girls were drinking out of straws.... at a party....when they were drinking either Sprite and Vodka or Mimosas. Coke and rum? Yes. SPRITE AND VODKA? I don't get it. I glanced around seeing if there were any other outsiders not using straws, but I found myself not only a non-Verizon worker, but also a dreaded non-straw drinker. Thankfully they looked past this flaw of mine and I was able to participate in the festivities.

After a couple of hours at this party Becky and I left to meet up with Katie and her roommates/classmates at a bar called Metro 53. As you can imagine, Katie and I together always have a good time. I wish I had pictures to document this night, but you will just have to take my word for it. I even managed to meet someone from Long Island who wasn't a "guido". He actually seemed like a pretty decent guy and admitted to hating Long Island people. However, Becky pressed him for information on his latest break-up of a girlfriend of 5 and half years and his answer was, "She cheated on me....with a Lacrosse player...from NOTRE DAME." HAHA! I died and told him I am a HUGE Notre Dame fan. I don't imagine I will be receiving a phone call from him :) Too funny.

Today I started to tackle my "to-do list" for New York, and decided to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. I made it there right around sunset and it was gorgeous seeing the Statue of Liberty in the distance with the sun setting in the background. You walk around the city everyday but you don't realize how big it is until you get to see it from the distance. I will try to put up the pictures as soon as I get my computer/internet to function properly.

Until then, happy Christmas Shopping everyone! Let me know if you want me to put a letter in Santa's mailbox for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment