BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Museums, Margaritas, and Madness




I've been packing most of my evenings and weekends with things to do since I know I have a limited time left here. I hate to waste three months in NYC without experiencing a lot of different things, but I can proudly say I've efficiently used my time here.

I spent last Sunday at the Natural Museum of History. I happily provided my old Mizzou student i.d. to get a discount (I mean I'm still as poor as a student...) and roamed through the museum for a couple of hours before watching an IMAX movie, "Mysteries of the Great Lakes". Just a little piece of home in New York. Although the museum was interesting, I feel like I have seen similar things at other Natural History Museums (in D.C. and London off the top of my head), so I think my preference at this point is still with Art Museums. Tomorrow I will be either heading to the Guggenheim or the International Center of Photography. I have to keep checking things off my list!

I kept busy during the week as well... happy hour at one of my favorite bars in Union Square (Pourhouse) with another intern, and I also checked out a famous bookstore called "The Strand". It was absolutely amazing. Their claim to fame is "18 miles of books", but the best part is EVERYTHING is discounted (including current bestsellers!). I spent almost two hours going through books and looking at their amazing collection. The place honestly looks like a library (see picture) except you can actually buy things. I settled on two books related to women's studies (I love reading about gender inequality.....it's a problem).

I've also had some happenings back at my "pad" as well. Sara and I recently got a new roommate (Annabella, the student from Taiwan moved to NJ). Marina is an ex-model from Russia and we went to celebrate her Russian Christmas on Thursday night. This celebration included large margaritas and lots of Mexican food (probably not what she normally does on Christmas...). So now I'm living with two European models and am learning just how short I really am.... I'm learning about the modeling industry while they painfully are learning about sports :)

While they focused on recovery yesterday, I focused on Katie coming into the city for a night out on the Upper East Side. I kid you not, there was a guy on the dance floor violently "dancing" with sunglasses on. Katie and I were both convinced he was from the Jersey Shore. That show has truly ruined the reputations of most people living in New Jersey (good thing I am moving there). Somehow Katie convinced him to give her his sunglasses, which resulted in more hilarity. I have several pictures of Katie dancing with those specs on..... to be shared later :)

Lastly, I found a place to live while at my internship. I will be living with another producer (who seems awesome) and I will have MY OWN BEDROOM AND BATHROOM. Can we say PENTHOUSE! My future roommate said I will be 20 minutes from Philly and a short train ride back to NYC. Amen, because I don't know how I will transition from NYC to the suburbs (I know, life is rough right?).

No comments:

Post a Comment